Anyway, I'm lucky enough to be working on the beachfront in small town (the depersonalised service uniform is a small price to pay), and finally, after about a quarter of a century of careful observation, I clocked my first sighting. Not a person shredder thank goodness, because the day I see a shark in the water with my own eyes is the last day I ever set foot in the sea, but was one of its more gentle, less bitey cousins.
It was very surreal to be standing there at work, watching this beautiful barnacled creature cruise up and down the beach. In my mind I had always imagined whales to be the drunken uncle of the deep, but she had amazing grace and speed. While very grateful that my seaside observation was finally rewarded, I really hope that she makes it back down to South Australia where she ought to be this time of year.
No comments:
Post a Comment