So I'm definitely going to keep on keeping on with my one-woman one-day-a-week anti-consumerism drive, because I like the feeling of not having to buy stuff. But to be honest, writing about not spending money and finding free things to do in small town is not that inspiring, and there are only so many times that I can partake of and wax lyrical on the magazines at the library or free coffee from work before they mistake me for a person without a permanent abode and kick me out, or make me start coughing up for the caffeine.
Not that I'm complaining, small town is the perfect place to achieve some serious financial goals, one of which I am happy to announce is complete. Goodbye credit card #1, I won't miss your evil interest, the stress, and not to mention exorbitant fees, of having to complete an international transfer every month, the temptation to use you just because I want, not NEED but WANT, a Father Christmas costume/ Queen and Prince Philip jigsaw puzzle/ shimmery paint and mini canvases.
I use to feel that the pleasure from buying something far outweighed the pain of increased debt and interest charges, but at some point last year the financial burden started getting very weighty on my shoulders (or maybe my shoulders got weaker?) (or hopefully I finally realised how ridiculous that attitude was!), and I felt like I was going to be squashed by it. Well, only a few short months later and the world of finance feels so different and not so scary to me. Now I'm paying things off left, right and centre, enjoying the feeling of being in control of money rather than it controlling me and learning lots of good lessons from some wise people.
Yay, only credit card #2 and a student loan to go...
(P.S. I want to say a massive thank you to the universe and all the lovely people who sent free things my way, I hope that I can pay it forward somehow).
No comments:
Post a Comment