Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To market, to market


With three hours sleep... hmm not the best frame of mind to be in before my first ever market stall but unfortunately working like crazy the few nights before something is due is my preferred MO, and I have been like that ever since I had to hand in projects at primary school (constructing a treasure chest using some particularly disagreeable glue at 5am with mum sticks in my mind as fresh as the day it was so bloody difficult to make) so I can't see my tendencies changing now.

I don't think that it's because I'm lazy or disorganised, but unfortunately I don't seem to get that creative impetus until the very last moment. Or perhaps it's because I want to add little time consuming touches that aren't strictly necessary for the completion of the task at hand. For example the pearls that you can see on the swing tags below



Now they aren't really adding anything to the function of the tag are they? But I loved the look of them set against the utilitarian shipping tag and I would much rather be jamming ribbon though pearls with too small a hole very early on a Sunday morning than leave them off!

So I just made it in time to set up at the market thanks to two very kind, strong, patient people and had a lovely day in the sunshine stringing up my happy unlined bunting (cheers for the well timed advice B!), fussing with my wee stall, chatting to Sunday strollers, handwriting business cards for those interested (to anyone thinking of getting business cards printed I suggest hand writing them first. Sure, your customers may not be able to read your own personal sleep deprived font, but you get to figure out exactly what you want to put on them. And because business cards are rather small, if you can leave off your email address and direct them instead to your facebook fan page where they can get in touch and see your product at the same time then it's much better isn't it. People love two things for the price of one!).

I even sold a few things. I felt so proud. And I learned a lot.

3 comments:

Martinborough village said...

Amazing Rose......looks like you had a gorgeous day in the sunshine.....I'm so proud of you xx

kiwigabe said...

Hi Dreamer, Glad to hear your Market stall went well. Just wondering how you went with Monfreeday?
Love Gabe

The dreamer said...

Thanks Trish and Gabe. Gosh, I can't even remember what I did on Monday, it seems like a long time ago. Don't think I broke my penniless promise!